Compositionwork is a method to explore the richness and complexity of the inner world as a guide to growth and change. It helps to connect with a preverbal embodied felt dimension of the self which is a source of potential new meanings. The artistic way of working allows creative experimentation and symbolic expression that reveal meanings and experiences that go beyond words. It is a method to facilitate and deepen the process of coaching and therapy by strongly engaging processes related to the functioning of the right brain hemisphere: feelings, sensing, preverbal experience, processing of new sensed information in the present moment, artistic perception and creativity. Compositionwork can be used as a practice to enhance experiential and relational depth as a compass for a meaningful way of being, acting and further development.The method is based on the internationally known theory of the Dialogical Self (Hermans, 2000) and the contemplative-aesthetic tradition of Japanese Zen-gardens.The method has been originated by dr. Agnieszka Konopka and prof. Hubert Hermans in 2006. It is used and published internationally
Background & Features
Compositionwork is based on the internationally recognized psychological theory of the Dialogical Self (Hermans, 2000) and the contemplative tradition of Zen gardens. Compositionwork has been founded in 2006 by dr. Agnieszka Konopka and prof. dr. Hubert Hermans. It has been further developed in coaching and training and education and is applied in a variety of countries.
- The method uses natural symbolism as a source of self-insight and growth. In Compositionwork the inner world is externalized in a symbolic form of a landscape consisting of stones and sand.
- Externalization is a powerful process used in compositionwork for creating insights and enlarging inner freedom. In the process of externalization personal experience is translated into a symbolic landscape that ‘speaks back’ to its creator.
- Compositionwork uses the potential of both brain hemispheres, which optimally enhances learning processes.
- Differentiating aspects of yourself, energies and emotions allows for learning about one’s inner richness and potential. Accessing hidden aspects and deep emotions creates change, energy and new motivation.
- The method uses the transformational power of abstract art and creates conditions to discover the artistry in who you are
- Compositionwork has a strong scientific basis and an integrative view on the self that guide interventions and allow to understand the mechanisms of change and development.
What People Say About Compositionwork
Well facilitated, step by step workshop for personal and professional learning. A creative process of discovering self. Passionate, capable and caring facilitators (Wim and Agnieszka).
It is a unique visual form of work with a client, especially in coaching. It gives a special possibility of looking at yourself and life from a new perspective. I sincerely recommend it!
The training was a trigger point for the process of coming back home. Coming back home to myself. Although it causes some adjustment hardships for me and for the people around me, it feels awesome!
Interesting experience which works through the senses and allows to discover a landscape of emotions and thought. A garden of my own inner world. It is worthwhile.
It was very insightful to see inner patterns and areas of possible changes in my own self and hopefully in my life. These observations were spontaneous, easy and natural. Very interesting method.